15 Interesting Facts about Virat Kohli
Arguably the best batsman in the world at the moment, Virat Kohli is hardly anything like the universally-loved, happy-go-lucky cricket icons he grew up idolising. Infact, he is perhaps their antithesis – unapologetically aggressive, extremely athletic, and driven by unrelenting ambition. His skill, dedication, focus and unflinching determination on the cricket field has earned the admiration of one and all, while his swagger keeps the marketing guys interested. There is little doubt that Kohli is the new face of Indian cricket – this unwavering, irreverent character who can tend to have a polarising effect on the millions of cricket-crazy fans in this cricket-mad nation. India have a gem in Virat Kohli – a sparkling solitaire.
1. Virat’s nickname is ‘Chikku’ – all his Indian teammates call him by that name!
2. Virat began his schooling at Vishal Bharti before shifting to Savier Convent.
3. Any sportsman’s greatest strength is not letting your personal life come in the way of your sport. Virat first came in to the limelight while representing Delhi against Karnataka in the Ranji Trophy on the very day of his father’s death. He displayed great character to stay on and bat, and went on to score 90 runs.
4. We are all aware that Virat led the Indian U-19 cricket team to victory in the 2008 U-19 Cricket World Cup, but the very next year, Virat played a crucial role in India winning the 2009 Emerging Players tournament in Australia, finishing as the event’s top scorer with 398 runs in seven matches with two hundreds.
5. He is only the third ever Indian batsman to score two ODI hundreds before his 22nd birthday – the other two being Sachin Tendulkar and Suresh Raina.
6. During the 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup, Virat Kohli became the first Indian to score a century on World Cup debut. The Delhi batsman made an impressive 282 runs in 9 innings at an average of 35.25. Let’s not forget his vital contribution in the final – forging that crucial partnership with Gautam Gambhir.
7. In the Asia Cup of 2012, Virat scored a blistering 183 off 148 balls against Pakistan – the joint fourth-highest score by an Indian batsman in ODIs. His knock was also the highest individual innings against Pakistan surpassing Brian Lara’s 156.
8. Kohli became the fastest Indian batsman to reach the landmarks of 1000, 3000, 4000 and 5000 runs in ODI cricket – the latest milestone was achieved on his way to his 18th ODI century in Napier this year.
9. Kohli was named the ICC ODI Cricketer of the year in 2012 – at the age of 23!
10. With his sensational 136 against Bangladesh, Kohli became the fastest cricketer to reach 19 ODI centuries – he is also the fastest to reach 10,15 and 18 ODI centuries!
11. On 16th October 2013, against Australia, Kohli smashed the fastest ODI century by an Indian, the seventh fastest ever – a cracking ton off just 52 balls in Jaipur.
12. In 2012, Virat Kohli was named as one of the 10 best dressed international men in a list that included US President Barrack Obama. SportsPro has rated Virat as the 13th most marketable athlete in the world – putting him alongside the likes of Neymar, Rory McIlroy and Usain Bolt.
13. Currently, Kohli holds the record of fastest century by an Indian in ODIs. He achieved this feat against Australia in 2013 at Jaipur, where he scored 100 in 52 balls.
14. Karishma Kapoor, the beautiful Bollywood actress was Kohli’s first crush!!
15. Kohli loves tattoos. He has gotten himself inked four times and his favorite tattoo is the one sporting a Samurai Warrior.